Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Few Announcements


1) In two weeks, I am starting a mini-series of online video classes with Torah In Motion. You can see details and register at this link: http://www.torahinmotion.org/programs/online_program/5437

2) In February, I will be visiting the NY region for a lecture tour. If you are interested in having me speak at your shul or school, please write to me.

3) If you happen to possess great expertise in German, and are willing to help me with some translations of 19th century texts on Biblical and Talmudic zoology, please write to me.

4) Related to the above, I am in the process of studying Rabbi Dr. Ludwig Lewysohn's Die Zoologie des Talmuds, “The Zoology of the Talmud,” published in 1858 (it is one of the subjects of my doctoral dissertation). It's available online in PDF and I am running it through an OCR program. I thought that it might be a good idea to upload the OCR text to a website such as Wikibooks so that people can collaborate on translating it. If anyone has the technical expertise to set this up (for a text with facing translation), or to advise on it, please be in touch.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, your idea is a great one, but the project you are looking for is Wikisource, not Wikibooks. (The former is for published texts like this book in German, the latter is for collaborative writing of course textbooks.)

    To start, you might want to use this tool to upload automatically from Archive.org to the Wikimedia Commons:

    https://toolserver.org/~tpt/iaUploadBot/step1.php

    It would have to be transcribed on the German Wikisource, and translated on the English Wikisource (with links between the two in both directions).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Adobe Acrobat can't handle a gothic font so I can't help unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already got the OCR covered, with ABBYY finereader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Torah in Motion make the class recordings available for purchase? Sunday mornings are generally bad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Torah in Motion make the class recordings available for purchase? Sunday mornings are generally bad for me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments for this blog are moderated. Please see this post about the comments policy for details. ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED - please use either your real name or a pseudonym.

Have you not been receiving my latest posts?

This is for those who receive my posts via email and have not seen posts in the last few days. The reason is because I moved over to a new s...