Sunday, November 3, 2013

Various Notes and Announcements

1. Some people really hated the posts about Bet Shemesh politics. Other people greatly valued them. Some people really hate the posts about Rabbi Meiselman's book. Other people greatly value them. Please realize that different people like different things. If you don't like a particular theme that I'm dealing with, please just skip it and come back another time! (Don't forget that you can subscribe to this blog via e-mail, so as to never miss a post, and to have them all archived.) By the way, I will be interspersing my review of R. Meiselman's book with other posts.

2. This February, I will again be visiting the US for a lecture tour, to NY/NJ and LA. A major goal of this trip is to raise funds for three large projects that I am involved in: The Torah Encyclopedia of the Animal Kingdom, a documentary on the animal kingdom in Jewish Thought, and especially The Jewish Museum of Natural History. If you are able and willing to host a parlor meeting in which I would give a presentation and raise funds, please write to me.

3. Visiting Israel? You can see part of the collection for the Jewish Museum of Natural History, and enjoy a hands-on presentation about the animal kingdom in Jewish thought. A one-hour presentation, for a group of up to twelve people, is $100. For reservations, write to zoorabbi@zootorah.com with "museum visit" in the subject line.

4. Are you making aliyah? If you are doing a lift from the US to Israel, I would very much like to put a flat-pack animal cage on it for the museum, that is only available in the US.

5. This coming July, I will once again be guiding a kosher safari with Torah in Motion, to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Please write to me if you are interested in more details.

6. Several people have suggested that I join FaceBook or Twitter, to help spread my material. Thanks for the suggestion, but no! It would just be too much of a drain on my mind and my time.

9 comments:

  1. "Several people have suggested that I join FaceBook or Twitter, to help spread my material. Thanks for the suggestion, but no! It would just be too much of a drain on my mind and my time."

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate these posts about various notes and announcements. You really should stop posting these on your blog. That's not why people come here...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is ILLEGAL for a person making Aliyah to sell his space to another person and pass those items as his own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. observer -

    & get a life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger joshwaxman said...
    I really hate these posts about various notes and announcements. You really should stop posting these on your blog. That's not why people come here...

    ;)


    Beat me to it :).

    It is ILLEGAL for a person making Aliyah to sell his space to another person and pass those items as his own.

    Anonymous blog comments are always the most reliable sources of legal advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It is ILLEGAL for a person making Aliyah to sell his space to another person and pass those items as his own".

    That is only if it is an item which the oleh receives a tax benefit for. If it is just a matter of space, there is no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tax Man
    I once saw the following posted in a blog: "
    Anonymous blog comments are always the most reliable sources of legal advice."
    Could you provide a source for your legal advice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brooklyn Refugee SheygitzNovember 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM

    "That is only if it is an item which the oleh receives a tax benefit for. If it is just a matter of space, there is no problem."

    unless the item is one which is zero VAT, zero purchase tax, zero customs, then inevitably it will be an item that the oleh receives tax benefits for. It's not just the electric appliances which are imported tax free by Olim! all the personal use clothing, furniture, household items etc. are granted relief from assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CHAZAL was and will be always right.
    what a blog. ur books where one thing. but every one of ur blogs r terrible, full of appicusies

    ReplyDelete

Comments for this blog are moderated. Please see this post about the comments policy for details. ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED - please use either your real name or a pseudonym.

Have you not been receiving my latest posts?

This is for those who receive my posts via email and have not seen posts in the last few days. The reason is because I moved over to a new s...